You should check your mirrors every few seconds so you always know what is behind you.
There are also particular times when it is very important for you to use your mirrors:
• Check your mirrors before making any change to your speed or road position.
• When preparing to turn or change lanes, watch carefully for any cars behind you, especially if you plan to turn where others may not expect it, such as at lane ways, driveways and side streets.
• When you are stopped behind another vehicle, leave plenty of space in front of you to move. Watch vehicles approaching from behind.
HEAD POSITION FOR TURNS
• Looking through a corner will help with your coordination and balance when cornering.
• Use your peripheral vision to scan the road surface while keeping your head pointed in the direction you want to go.